Thursday 23 October 2014

Buying a Value for money [VFM] Laptop Part -4 [Summing Up and Making a Purchase]

Now putting the rant in previous post to work and buying a VFM Laptop that will suits my needs.

1) What specs do i want? 

CPU - Intel i3 processor, (GHz don't matter), 4th Generation
RAM - 4 GB DDR3
HDD - 500 GB (Doesn't matter)
Screen Size - 14" LED Screen
Graphics - Need graphics card and V-RAM to catch on some older games
Battery - 3 or 6 cell
Brand - does not matter
OS - Already have retail licensed windows copy.

2) Consideration if any ?

I will like a laptop back-pack.
I will like more than 1 USB 3.0 port
I will like  a HDMI port.
I will like to spend less than 25K INR (Budget of 30K)

3) So [Buy] which, where and how?

Research the choices 

[Locally] I researched the choices by first going to my friendly neighborhood computer dealer. He gave me some choices but always broke my budget of Rs 30K. I talked to some of the vendors at my office, they always have some discounts going on for us. Again the choices were there but always budget of 30K was exceeded.

[Online] I searched online using the filters of things what I want, at once I narrowed my options to few choices. Sites to use for online buying in India Flipkart, Snapdeal, Amazon, Shopclues, ebay
in order of their preference for me.

I then narrowed on cheapest stuff (read deals) , warranty info etc and weigh and narrowed down to few choices namely
1)Dell Vostro 14 V3446
2)HP Compaq 15-s005TX
3)Dell Inspiron 3442

Start searching in different online portals for lower prices / deals coupons etc.after some time, I was leaning towards HP-Compaq from flipkart which was around 25K with ongoing offer.

I was not happy with 15" screen so waited for some time, around 6th of October on Flipkart's Billion day , I checked back for discount but found that since on-going offers were removed and billion day celebrations did not include the specific model , I wanted, that was one with 2GB Nvidia Gfx card.

I just started looking on other sites and ended up at Amazon. where Dell Vostro 14 V3446 came up with price tag of  24,339 INR. I checked with other sites, found this to be lowest.

Buying decision
All my specs requirements were satisfied by this deal.
My optional wishes were fulfilled 2 out of 4. 
The Laptop only had 1 USB 3.0 port and Laptop did not have HDMI port.

Now what made me buy this laptop was ongoing offer from Amazon of 2K gift card and Offer from SBI-Cards for 10% max(1500) cash back.

I am not sure whether i will get both offers on the laptop, but in case, I get both offers then effective price of this laptop will be (24339-1500-2000 = 20839 INR) which is a steal deal for this laptop.

One good thing about living in India about this time is online promotions as a lot of Indians are still not comfortable in buying online. And Indian festivals, if you are looking to buy an expensive item you don't need immediately you can always wait for some festival offer to come along for you to get some discounts and deals.

I will be adding Installing windows 7 and some must have utilities on Dell Vostro 3446 along with quick review. Will post that later..

No comments:

Post a Comment