Sunday 2 November 2014

Buying a Steam Iron Press.

Philips GC2840 2200-Watt Nonstick Soleplate Steam Iron with Spray, Coating, Anti-Calc and Drip Stop

Since my old Steam Iron had some leakage issue and short-circuited. I was looking to buy a steam iron press. If you look around there are so many brands to choose from and so many different price range you may find a steam iron press for somewhere in between Rs 300  to Rs 11,700 .

Here is how I made my purchase. 

Brand : First decide on what brand you want, I decided to go for Philips as most of my house appliance is Philips and I trust quality of Philips home appliances. Other good brands with reasonable prices are Morphy Richards, Bajaj and Kenstar. I know there are numerous other brands like Jaipan, Orpat, Singer, Havells etc choose whatever you like but stick to the brand else narrowing on the choices becomes confusing. 

What to look for in the Steam iron press ?
1) Sole Plate is most important - choose premium types with plenty of steam roll.(thin noose ones are better)  
2) Wattage - higher the quicker, and for that constant steam roll.
3) Steam features - vertical steam shots (in case you want to steam clothes on the hanger, Steam burst for stubborn thick cloths like denim and certain curtains, continuous steam in (grams per minute)
4) Cord - For corded ones choose the one with at-least 2 meter wire for comfortable use and ball-socket swivel design.
5) Maintenance- how to clean, whether It is self cleaning
6) Weight of Steam Iron Press - too heavy and will be difficult to use and too light will be inefficient .

How to get best deal ?
Once you have decided on the brand head over to online sites for some rates. 
Indian sites I use in order of preference are (Flipkart, Snapdeal, Amazon, ShopClues, ebay) 
look on models and find the most decent steam iron you can afford by comparison of various features.

I narrowed my choice to Phillips  GC2820 or GC2840 (On budget of 2000 INR)
I choose Amazon to make the buy for ongoing offer
1) 15% off at checkout
2) Citibank offer of 10% cash back as Amazon Gift coupon.

The Steam Iron was billed to me for Rs 1872.55 and if i receive second offer too then effective price will be Rs 1685 /- though I have to make a purchase for the gift amount. for an steam iron with MRP of Rs-3495, I consider this to be a good buy. 

Deal Check for Phillips - GC2840
1) Sole plate - Steam Glide sole-plate is Philips premium sole-plate
2) Wattage - 2200 ( GC2820 about 100 odd rupees less was 2000 Watt otherwise identical product)
3) Steam - Vertical Steam preset, Continuous steam up to 32 g/min, Steam boost up to 100 g
4) 2m cord with swivel design
5) Calc clean slider to easily remove scale out of the iron
6) 1.2 kg weight 

No comments:

Post a Comment